Friday, March 4, 2011

Being environmentally conscious makes financial sense.

I'm a moderate environmentally conscious guy. I'm all for saving the environment but those actions must also makes sense. It is my goal to reduce my carbon footprint without sacrificing convenience and luxury. My environmental actions/improvements must also save money and even make money over time.  

Example #1: Solar Panels
My solar panels will pay for themselves in 10-12 years yet they will last over 25 years. At the end of their life, they will have earned me over $54,000 in electrical savings. Not bad for an initial $22,000 investment. That works out to $3.50/day in increased income. Wow, that's like receiving a free box of Graham Crackers every day for the next 25 years.




Example #2: New Electric Car vs. Used Combustion Engine Car
I am currently driving a '92 Honda Accord that I bought eight years ago for $2800.  During that time, I've spent about $5000 and 100's of hours in maintenance and repairs and $5200 in gas. Conservatively estimating my intermediate skilled mechanic labor costs at $25/hr adds another $3000. All together, that car cost me $16,000. I want to buy the new electric Nissan Leaf but they cost $32,000 up front. After the federal tax credit, Leafs run about $25,000. If I bought a $5,000 used gas car instead of the Leaf, I could buy over 4 years worth of $3.50/gal gas with the money I save from not buying the Nissan Leaf.
But maintenance costs will also be lower with the Leaf (newer car, no combustion engine maintenance).
Factor in the increasing costs of gas for combustion engines and the free electricity from my solar panels for the Leaf, the cost goes down even more. Driving a 2011 Leaf, vs a 92' Honda Accord will most likely never save money over the life of the car, (or rather the life of the battery as it costs $17,000 to replace if needed after the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty runs out).

Increased safety features, luxury and convenience is also worth something in itself. Perhaps I have been depriving myself these features all these years and now it's time to withdraw those savings too.

The pros and cons are nearly tied. That is until you factor in one final parameter. The awesomeness factor! Driving an electric car is cool. It tips the scales and makes the environmentally superior choice worth it.

Update: 
A few people have commented that the Nissan Leaf in the above picture is smiling.  Yes.  That is true.  Know why?  Because it never has to pay for or use gasoline, ever.  Imagine how happy you would be if you didn't have to buy gas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment