Monday, August 22, 2011

EV Conversion Part 3 – Installing the Electric Motor:


It’s amazing to me how simple a job can become when you have the right tools, good lighting and room to work.

Mandatory tools for an EV conversion job:
  • A place to perform the EV conversion, (for 200 hours or 2-6 months).
  • Impact wrench with deep walled sockets
  • Engine lift or cherry picker
  • Arc welder
  • Angle grinder
  • Chop Saw with metal blade
  • Drill press
  • Paint sprayer
  • Neoprene gloves x100 pair or more if you have OCD like me.

I bought a large DC electric motor and a generic adapter plate for connecting the motor to the transmission bell housing.  I tested out the DC motor with a 12 volt battery to verify it works. 

 I lined up the motor with the adapter plate and clamped it in place. 
 

Yeah, that kind of looks like blood but its spray paint from my first attempt at matching up the holes on the transmission bell housing.   I drilled holes that matched my specific transmission.

I also had a shaft coupler machined that would match the shaft of the electric motor to the existing fly-wheel from the old engine. I still want the clutch intact for this EV conversion.

By grinding down a raspy metal file, I made a key for the motor shaft to lock into the coupler.

I used a couple extra hunks of metal from the old engine to secure the motor in place. I welded them to the motor and bolted them to the frame of the truck.

Wow! I now have a truck with an electric motor. I have to drive this around the block.

I connected up two 12-volt batteries in series and connected them to the motor with jumper cables. Using one end of a jumper cable for an instant on/off throttle control, ZAP, the truck came to life!

I drove it down the street a few of times at the screaming speed of 10mph.  Check out this video clip of me test driving it here.

I really need to get more batteries and install the motor controller. Eventually this truck will drive at freeway speeds. 

3 comments:

  1. John, what is the total cost of this conversion. I have a '95 S-10 and am coveting your project.
    Mike Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Including the price of the Donner vehicle, I am out $7700. I have sold lots of the ICE parts and that has knocked off $500 so far.
    Since you already own your truck, you could do the conversion for around $5000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done great work, the spray paint is really looking like blood, and it’s really great we can do the conversion for around $5000. I have enjoyed your post because you have added images of this procedure. Thank John for sharing this post.

    die separators

    ReplyDelete